А. Develop a strategy for using crowdsourcing in the process of crisis mapping and select an appropriate platform for carrying it out. Related cultural factors: Social networks
B. "Popular" (or "volunteered geographic") information coming from citizens/societal actors in the field should always be filtered, cross-validated and merged with technical information coming from other sources. Related cultural factors: Local knowledge
C. Promote the involvement of members of local communities in the process of crisis mapping and motivate them to, actively, provide information using the dedicated software platforms. Related cultural factors: Social networks
D. Use appropriate qualitative and quantitative research methods whenever applicable, as well as suitable combinations of the two types, in order to gather better, exhaustive results on the opinions of citizens on various topics related to disaster management.
E. Networks aimed at increasing citizens’ understanding of mechanisms for monitoring and defending against disasters and communicating warning messages to emergency responders and other citizens are established in many prone-to-risk communities. These forms of citizen participation should be supported through public funds/programs so as to enable a more effective reaction in the event of a disaster. Related cultural factors: Social networks
F. Give access to a wide category of stakeholders (i.e., public authorities, citizens, associations, etc.) to view and analyse this information, which should reflect citizens' opinions and perceptions as well as objective assessments of the related environmental aspects.
- Deliverable 3.2: Report on best and emerging practices of technologies for disaster risk management and their adaptation to different cultural groups - CARISMAND
- pdf, 3.4 MB
- Deliverable 4.2: Report on “risk cultures” in the context of disasters - CARISMAND
- pdf, 1.8 MB
- Deliverable 5.1: Structural design and methodology for Citizen Summits - CARISMAND
- pdf, 1 MB
- Deliverable 7.1: Report on literature review - CARISMAND
- pdf, 2.5 MB
- Deliverable 7.2: Report on linkages between empowerment practices and specific socio-economic and environmental contexts - CARISMAND
- pdf, 1.7 MB
- Deliverable 7.3: Report on cultural factors and citizen empowerment - CARISMAND
- pdf, 2.4 MB
Allen, K., 2006. Community-based disaster preparedness and climate adaptation: local capacity-building in the Philippines. Disasters, 30(1).
Pandey, B.H. & Okazaki, K., 2005. Community-based disaster management: Empowering communities to cope with disaster risks. Regional Development Dialogue, 26(2).